10.31.2011

avocado fries

Recently I've become addicted to the blog, A Cozy Kitchen.
Whilst browsing her recipes, I came across the one for Avocado Fries and knew I had to make them.  Being from NC, there is nothing I love more than taking something naturally delicious and healthy and frying it in oil.
Here's how it went down:
1. Fill your skillet about 1/3 full of vegetable oil and heat it on medium.
2. Take 2 ripe avocados, slice them lenthwise, take out the pit, and use a large spoon to scoop the avocado out of the skin (in one piece!). Then slice the avocados lengthwise again  into "fries"
3. Beat one egg and put it in a shallow bowl. Stir in a tablespoon of water.  Do the same with 1/2 cup of milk and one with 1/2 cup of flour (just the bowl part, not the beating). Dip your "fries" in the milk, flour, egg, then the flour again.   *Sorry I didn't take a picture of this. It was messy, and I was absolutely starving and grouchy!*   

4. When the oil is hot (adding a drop of water makes it "spit"), add your fries one by one, without letting them touch.

4. When the batter starts getting brown, turn them over, and let them cook till they are crispy. Take them out and let them dry on paper towels, like ya do with bacon.
5. Enjoy with something yummy, like a turkey burger!
Tip:  They were a little bland, as avocados tend to be.  The recipe suggests 'Lime Sriracha Mayo', but I bet they'd be good with homemade ranch too. :)

-little j

2 comments:

  1. I see no turkey burg...But they doo look yummy! or even a piece of wheat bread, hummus, tomato and turk. NUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look amazing. I will "let" you bring them to me when you come and clean my house. :) (We'll be in touch next week... I actually might be able to use some help with some stuff...)

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beeeep.