10.13.2011

pride and prejudice [today's devotion]

here
            So everyone knows the story of Joseph right? Even if you aren't a church-goer, you've probably heard about the dude whose dad loved him more than his other brothers, so said brothers sold him into slavery. After a whole lot of drama, Joe ends up as the right hand man to the Pharaoh.  Using his power, he saves the Egyptians from starvation during a really bad famine. What you might not know is that he later gets reunited with his brothers from another mother (literally. polygamy was IN during the OT), and is with his dad (Jacob) on his deathbed.  That's when things get cool.

Genesis 50:15-21
When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said to one another, "If Joseph is holding a grudge against us, he will certainly repay us for all the wrong we caused him..."

But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You planned evil against me; God planned it for good to bring about the present result- the survival of many people. Therefore don't be afraid.  I will take care of you and your little ones." And he comforted them and spoke kindly to them.


When I read this, I couldn't help but think "how?" We know that we're supposed to forgive, but HOW do we do it?

Joseph remembered a few key things:
1. He knew his place. He knew that he couldn't control the actions of others, or deal out justice. He didn't try to be God.
2. He realized that God had used the situation for the greater good (saving the Egyptian people from starvation).

So I started thinking.... What is my first response when someone hurts me? Do I feel like they've trampled all over my "rights"? What are my actual rights as a child of God?

And be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving one another, just as God also forgave you in Christ.    Ephesians 4:32 

What is my right? To forgive much from others because God has forgiven much from me.
Changes the perspective a little, doesn't it?  Ultimately, the issue isn't anger, but pride.

Have I forgotten that I, too, need forgiveness? Honestly, am I being prideful? Am I trying to ensure justice (God's job) in this situation? Do I believe that God will bring good out of every situation (even someone else's sin)? 

Asking these questions helps us tackle the "how" part of forgiveness. You can't force yourself to feel kindness towards someone who's hurt you, but when you view yourself in the truth of the Bible, it makes it much easier.

2 comments:

leave a message after the beeeep.