10.26.2011

girls night in

In an effort to be frugal, Jasmine and I made dinner in tonight.  I made a pastry-wrapped-cream-cheese- stuffed baked chicken based roughly off this recipe.

The recipe said it was "easy", but I'm 22 and just graduated from college. Sometimes I choose not to make a frozen pizza for dinner because it would take too long for the oven to pre-heat, so "easy" is relative.

I probably wouldn't make this for myself after work, but it's definitely worth it if you're having friends over/ trying to impress a date.

1. Mix 4 oz of cream cheese, parsley, sprinkle cheese, and garlic powder (fresh garlic would be better, but lets be honest, how often do I keep garlic cloves around the house?) The recipe suggested using bacon, which I didn't have, but would prob be pretty yum.
2.  Cut a slit in 3 chicken breasts lengthwise, to make a "pocket" for the cream cheese.  Stuff all that artery clogging goodness in there.
3. Beat one egg in a small bowl. Take 3 sheets of puff pastry (or take your 2 sheets and cut them up to make 3 equal sized sheets) and wrap the chicken up in them, using the egg as "glue" on the edges.  If your pastry is big enough, you can totally wrap them up; however, I had large, ahem, breasts, so I left the ends sticking out a little.
4. Brush the remaining egg over the top. Pop those babies in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes at 400 degrees. Cut some red potatoes into 1/4ths, drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and parsley, and pop in the oven for the last 20 min or so, and, voila, a dinner that looks like this.


Tip:
grease the pan with the chicken! or line the pan with foil! that puff pastry sticks to the pan like crazy!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

leave a message after the beeeep.