8.30.2011

B is for Baller

Not too long ago, I got a hankering to interview one of my readers.  My friend, probably most dedicated reader (besides my dad), and fellow blogger, bRob, was sweet enough to take the time to answer my questions.

Check out her blog here and the interview

here:

Name/Alias: bRob.  Sometimes people like to call me Helen of Troy, though, because of how great my face is and all. 

Why did you decide to start blogging?
 I think, truth be told, I was pretty lonely when I first started, and I wanted somewhere to start writing my melodrama, and I wanted to know someone [my pal InterWebs] was reading it. Just a little lame.


I got really into blogging last spring, though, and it's become a huge outlet. I feel like that should say, "creative outlet", but I'm not super creative, so mostly it's my running commentary on things I see, do, and live. I love it. Everyone should always know my opinion about everything.

Which character from Star Trek would you date? 
Well this is tricky. Let's just say I stick to Star Trek: The Original Series. So then my really date-able options are limited to Kirk, Spock, the doctor guy, the ship-driving guy (He was Russian, right?), Geordi La Forge, and Scotty.


Scotty and the doctor are old, Kirk's too much of a mack daddy, and who even knows what that ship driving guy is named. So it's down to Spock and Geordi. Geordi is adorable, and we could bond over engineering, and he'd probably let me try on his weird visor/goggles thing, so Geordi. 


Ooops. I just remembered that Geordi isn't actually in The Original Series. Ok, so maybe Spock. 

Whose twitter (if it could be anyone dead or alive) would you most like to read?

Well, I live in the Bible Belt, so I have to say Jesus, right???

And after Jesus, probably Hamlet. He is so melodramatic and mad funny. Also, he's not real...


What is the difference between chicken nuggets and boneless chicken wings?

I feel like chicken nuggets come in shapes. Like dinosaurs or the plain old weird oval things. Whereas chicken wings are all...wing-y.

How do you decide how “personal” to make your blog? Isn’t it scary putting yourself out there?
By nature I've always been a very honest person. I don't mind sharing at all - in fact I tend to overshare. 


It is important to remember that once you publish something, anyone can see it at any time. There have been times when I've wanted to post things, and I changed my mind when I realized those posts weren't good representations of what I believe or who I am.


As someone who can be quite the pessimist  at times, one of my greatest struggles is trying not to be too negative on my blog. I try never to post something that I would consider neither amusing nor encouraging nor interesting.  It can be tempting to rant and rave on my blog, but I remind myself that this isn't my diary. People read this, and they probably aren't going to continue if it is negative all the time. I especially try to exclude anything that is disparaging to the people in my life - my blog is not a tool for revenge or venting.
Along those lines, how do you balance the posts about your faith with the others? Do you ever worry about your non-Christian readers?

Sometimes I get anxious that I'm not posting enough about Jesus and my Christian readers will judge me for being less Jesus-y some weeks. And then when I'm posting a lot about my faith, I do have a fear that my nonChristian readers will find me boring.


However - trying to cater to either of those fears would be dishonest. If I feel led to post about my relationship with Christ or the movement of the Holy Spirit in my life, I try to, gladly. I never force a spiritual epiphany to share if there isn't one. But I don't try to hide the Lord's movement in my life for any reason. 


An even greater fear is that when I just write daily things on my blog, I might say something that misrepresents Christ to others. There are things in my personal life that I do not feel dishonor God or are stumbling blocks for me, but because I know I have readers who don't believe in Christ and may be watching what I do and say closely, I  avoid posting anything that might be misconstrued or serve as a stumbling block for others - certain music, quotes, outfit pictures, etc. That is not to say I only post pictures with a little "I love Jesus" watermark in the corner, but rather that I check myself and the material I'm posting and seeing if it dishonors Him and discredits my witness. ( 1 PETER 2:12, 1 Cor 10:23)

Who would you want to play you in a biopic of your life?

Kristen Stewart. HAHAH not. 

Jane Lynch. 

If you were forced to get a tattoo, what would it be?
via reading theology

The trinity symbol, on my wrist. 

But I cry when I get papercuts, so the odds of this happening are, like, zilch. 


Biggest pet peeve:

 Hah, I am the queen of pet peeves, so picking one is pretty challenging.
It really aggravates me when people only do their dirty dishes in a full sink. I think it's a nice gesture to do all of the dishes in the sink, and when you only do yours, it's like deliberately saying, "you are on your own." You know? Eh, maybe you don't. Maybe I'm the only picky one like that...


Worst date you’ve ever been on:

Sheesh, I've had way too many embarassing dates [not to be confused with too many dates. It's more that the bad to good date ratio is extremely skewed...].


Right after I told this guy I'd go on a date with him, I find out that he does a lot of things I'm really not "down" with, so I changed my mind. But the friend I went to for help has been in a relationship for forever and had never really been on a date date. We devised this super ridiculous plan where I would ask the guy if this date was a "friend thing" and he would be like, "Oh, nevermind."


But rather than saying "nevermind," he looked perturbed, and I tried to be like, "Well, I understand, we should cancel." But he didn't. He did not cancel this date. I spent an extremely awkward hour and a half making useless small talk. Also, he didn't even pay for my coffee


On the plus side, that is now my favorite coffee shop. They have great soy lattes.
It’s Friday at 8pm. What are you doing?

Probably getting my food on with a friend [a meal, or a run to the cupcake shoppe, or gettin' a cookout milkshake - I'm a lover of all things edible] or maybe going to a movie. 


ummm let's get serious. I might actually be blogging at 8pm on a Friday night while watching a "Walking Dead" marathon. Sad? Maybe.
The best thing about having a blog is…

The massive amounts of fame and adoring comments I've received from my followers. Oh, wait, what is that? I don't get either of those? Shame on you followers. SHAME.


Actually, blogging has exposed me to a lot of cool stuff that people are doing all over. In fashion, in art, in science, in religion, even in my own field. Because I am constantly browsing the Webs for stuff to share, I come across a lot of articles and images that I would otherwise never have seen. I learn a lot while blogging.

The worst thing about having a blog is…

Trying new things and completely bombing. Occasionally I'll try to get my readers involved, or I'll try a new post idea out, and later I'll just feel ridiculous. Maybe it was a silly idea, maybe I only have like 3 readers...either way it can be a little humbling later when I see no one's commented and I have about 5 page views. 4 of which are from my grandma. 

Celeb you would most want to be stranded on an island with:
a.       Aziz Ansari
via buzzfeed
 

A THOUSAND TIMES YES. Man he is so adorable. And funny. I love him in Parks and Rec. I want to pinch his cheeks and then have a giant purple-free snugglefest [you went to church camp, don't pretend you don't know what purple means...]

b.      Joel McHale (I had no idea who this was until I hulu'd about 3 episodes of Community today).
c.       Taylor Lautner (too young)
d.      Joshua Radin (too artsy)

Dream job if school/money was no object?
 Stand-up comedian. If my weak sense of humor was also no object.

How do you do the Technicolor posts? Do you bookmark links for those posts as you go along or do you sit down and do it all at once?

They are really time consuming. I browse the web and bookmark interesting links, images, videos, and articles throughout the week. I have some staple blogs and sites I browse, but then I also like using stumbleupon.com [be careful, it's MEGA-addicting] and pinterest.com to find things I wouldn't otherwise come across. When I'm ready to write a post, I spend the next two to three hours sorting through all my bookmarks for my favorites and arranging them in the post. It's definitely worth the effort - I learn and see a lot, and I *think* my readers like it too. I think.


What are you addicted to right now?
I really enjoy the blog A Cup of Jo. The blogger, Joanna, posts interesting articles and beautiful images, links up other charming blogs and sites, and tells stories about her handsome husband and baby boy. I admire her creativity and enjoy her aesthetic. All of her posts are classy and tasteful, and she seems like a  sweet person who cares about her readers. 

Also your funny and honest blog. Can't get enough =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a message after the beeeep.