8.21.2011

facebook, a love/hate relationship

Since I am going camping tomorrow and will be spending a few days away from technology, I got on Blogger to write a post to you, my sweet readers.  This happened 2 hours ago.  What happened in the two hours between me clicking "New Post" and actually typing out this pathetic paragraph?

Facebook.

I got on to respond to ONE MESSAGE.  I don't even like being on facebook, but it sucks you in and won't let you log off.  So why do I still have one? Let's ponder the pro's and con's.


Pro
I can creep on that cutie in my problem session. Sure, it took me 2 hours to sort through every guy named "Mark" at NCSU, and it turns out he has a girlfriend, but now I can look through 2,000 pics of his trip to Uganda last summer!
(disclaimer: this is not referring to a specific situation, but is an exaggerated example to make a point. If your name is Mark and you went to Uganda last summer, that is just a freakish coincidence and I promise I'm not stalking you) 

Con
Status updates from people that I went to middle school with.  Yeah, we were partners on a science project in 7th grade, but I don't really care about how sweet your smoochy-woochy boyfriend is now.

Pro
Shamelessly plugging my blog in my status updates. Don't judge.

    Con
People tagging HORRIBLE pictures of you.  Nobody wants to see pics of me before I discovered makeup/straightening irons. Or what I look like by day 3 of a church retreat.  Or me doing any sort of athletic activity.

Pro
Posting hilarious youtube videos that I think a friend would like.
Like this:


Con
Personalized advertising. "College Student Getaway" ads are alright, but when I get things like "are you a 22 year old who drives a civic and needs a job?", I start feeling a little creeped out.

Pro
Event invite.  Soooo much easier than looking up email addresses for everyone I know.

Con
It's ability to suck you in! Why am I looking at pictures of my little sister's friend from high school's birthday party? I don't know but it sure is fun.


What do you think people? Is it just me? 

P.S. I want to interview one of my readers (YOU) for my blog! Whoever posts the most enthusiastic comment (or whoever comments at all) can get interviewed! Comment and become famous! 

 

3 comments:

  1. hey i'm posting in the middle of a class so i think i should automatically win for most enthusiastic comment.

    and i'm still on facebook because i shamelessly plug my blog too.

    but since i'm already super famous on the blogosphere, i'll forfeit to anyone who comments after me. unless of course no one else does. THEN I CANNOT WAIT FOR AN INTERVIEW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interview me! you stalked me in our problem session.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, looks like mark is real after all!

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beeeep.