11.09.2011

pb&j oatmeal

Confession: I do the grocery shopping in our household, and sometimes I'm really lazy about it.  So when I woke up this morning, we were out of bagels, good cereal, and bread. I put my coffee on (we would NEVER run out of that), and looked into our near empty pantry and found a lone packet of REGULAR flavored instant oatmeal. Why do we even have that?

And then I got inspired.

PB&J oatmeal. Here's how:

1. Heat a little water to boiling and add just enough to the instant oatmeal for it to be moist.
2. Add a heaping spoonful of peanut butter and a normal-ish spoonful of jelly (so precise, I know) to your oatmeal and stir in!
3. Add a splash of milk or any amount to reach the desired consistency.
4. Enjoy with a cup of coffee and reruns of the Fresh Prince.

1 comment:

  1. Oatmeal is the perfect morning delight. I would say steel cut oats (ppp) are a large percentage of my diet. Recommendations:

    If you use milk (I've used any type of dairy milk, soy, and almond and all work well) the oatmeal will be much creamier. Just be sure to keep stirring so it doesn't cook onto the bottom of the pan. Keeping cinnamon and honey handy is always a good mix as well.

    Mixes I've tried (and always try to keep stock in the essentials):

    Honey/Cinnamon
    Cinnamon/Nutmeg/Sugar/Raisons
    PB/Jam (Blueberry with milk is especially delish)
    PB/Banana (Mushed or slices)
    Applesauce/Cinnamon

    Plain is really good when you have a tummy ache in the morning.

    It is really easy (and cheap if you buy in bulk!) to keep a large stock of oats in the pantry and they can be used for so many recipes. They are nutritious and handy!

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beeeep.