11.28.2011

kelly osbourne + the gospel

WARNING: There are things like deep thoughts and semi-coherent sentences in here today. Rest assured that my usual inane content will resume tomorrow.


how fierce is K.O. looking these days?
A couple days ago, I was watching E! true hollywood story: kelly osbourne.   Ok, actually, I was watching the ‘keeping up with the kardashians’ and got too lazy to get up and change the channel when it ended, so I ended up watching a documentary about kelly osbourne, but I digress.

To nobody’s surprise, kelly had a rough childhood. They travelled a lot, she was a kid with a british accent growing up in america, and, hello!, her dad was ozzy osbourne. It isn’t exactly pet golden retrievers and white picket fences when your dad sings for black sabbath.

Anyways, kells was saying how the kids at her school would pick on her, and she mentioned that “the religious ones” would tell her that she was going to “burn in hell” because her dad bit the heads off of bats and stuff.

What the what?

I literally started crying when I heard that, and lest you think that is normal little j behavior, let me assure you that it is not.

Sometimes (like when watching E: true Hollywood stories) I get to the end of my rope with people who use the name of Christ to fuel their own bigoted and prejudiced agendas. Then I wonder how many times I’ve done something really crappy to someone (I assure you I have) and they’ve judged Christianity based on my behavior.

Too often we forget what the bible actually says. Sure it would be nice to live in a world where everybody was perfectly biblical, but if every single one of my friends quit going out drinking on Friday nights, would it make any difference at all in light of eternity?

Nope.

We need to quit trying to force people who don’t know Christ into a Christian lifestyle. When we do that, we are basically telling our friends "you have to earn your way to Jesus."  I don’t hurt for my friends because they say cuss words, I hurt for them because they don’t know God for who he really is.

I wonder how things could have been for kelly if one of those “religious” kids had said,

“Hey, I see you’re new here. Let’s be friends.”

Any maybe that’s putting a lot of pressure on elementary school age children, but I don’t think it’s too much to ask from us adults.

1 comment:

leave a message after the beeeep.