7.03.2011

Lessons Learned


I'm in my early twenties, so lots of things feel unsettled.  I have lots of questions rolling around in my brain like "What am I going to do for my career?", "Why does a new timing belt/water pump cost so much?" ,and "Will I have to pretend to like soccer when I live in Europe next year?"

Serious thoughts, people.

Sometimes having all these unanswered questions is frustrating.

Today I was talking to a friend about breakups.  I said something like "I think it is good for everyone to go through one breakup, because you learn a lot about yourself."

She replied "Maybe I'm just not there yet, but I can't think of anything good that I learned from my breakups."

That statement was a little crazy to me because said friend is recently married, and I (being the single twenty-two year old), assumed that by the time you walked down the aisle, you would look back on your previous relationships with rose colored glasses while listening to "God Blessed the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts.

I always assume that, with time, God will show me the answers to all my problems. Usually, He does.  But today I realized that sometimes we don't get answers.  Sometimes there are past hurts that are just past hurts.  It doesn't mean that things won't turn out ok (it did for my friend), but I think what I learned from that conversation is that sometimes you have to accept things how they are and move forward from that point.  I may not ever get answers for some of the questions in my life, but I need to remember that God brings good out of every situation.  He can heal the most broken, angry, messed-up people and turn hopeless situations into miracles. Just read the Bible.

Sometimes we don't get answers. God doesn't always feel the need to explain Himself to us.

Sometimes, in the words of an ex-boyfraaan,

"It is what it is."

Take what you've got and go from there.

If a hurricane doesn't leave you dead
it will make you strong.
Don't try to explain it, just nod your head
breathe in, breathe out, move on.
Jimmy Buffet


“Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.

See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
and streams in the wasteland.”
Isaiah 43:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave a message after the beeeep.