1.29.2012

humble pie: part deux

you shall not pass!

Did you know that Lord of the Rings references are the new Christian “thing”?   I found that out this weekend, and, oh boy, did this speaker work in some major nerd points.  By the end I was a starting to wonder if it was Jesus who was coming back one day or Gandalf to save us from the orcs.  I kid.

 So I realized that I haven’t written anything about Big J in a while, and that certainly isn’t due to a lack of “God stuff” happening in my life, but more to my lack of diligence in the blogging department.  So I shall endeavor to tell you about what I learned today about humilty.

Back story: I’m a tactless texter/facebook commenter, especially if I’m multitasking. I say whatever I’m thinking at the moment, and then post without re-reading it through the “am I being a word-that-rhymes-with-witch?” filter.  So today I accidently commented something really thoughtless in response to a person that I’m close to . UNFORTUNATELY for me, I didn’t actually think about what I had said until hours later when the evil comment randomly popped into my head.

“Did I really say that?” I thought embarrassedly. “Maybe he didn’t see it. I’ll just go home and delete it and pretend I never said that.”

And I felt God say, “Do you really wanna take that risk?”

“But Goooooooood.” I whined. “ It would be so embarrassing to have to apologize, and what if he hasn’t seen it already, and what if it’s really awkward? And what if…”

And then God asked me this:
“Do you care more about your pride or about the feelings of this person?”

Ouch and double ouch. And I knew what I had to do. 

It was in this moment that I knew that I’ve grown up. Two years ago, I would never have been ready to hear that rebuke, and tonight I was comforted by the fact that He is at work in me, teaching me to be more like Jesus every day. 

So if you are anything like me, and you look at these amazing Christian women who seem to be everything proverbs 31 describes, and then you look at yourself and see an bratty pre-teen girl trapped in a women’s body, and you long to be humble and graceful and kind, TAKE HEART, 'cause if he’s changing me, he’s doing it for you too.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched the first movie for the first time this weekend! They were so good! annnddd Gandolf makes me really want to get a backy pipe.

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beeeep.