12.09.2011

The Sister Wife- a review

hizzle

When I was a kid, I used to love reading.  I was the one who would be reading under her desk in class or staying up after bedtime with a flashlight under the covers.  One time, I got in trouble and my mom grounded me from finishing the 4th Harry Potter book right after it came out. Cruel and unusual, I say.

When I’m nannying, I have time to read while the kids are doing homework, or taking guitar lessons, or are out wrecking havoc with the neighborhood gang.  I’ve been picking random books from the library and just finished The Sister Wife by Diane Noble.  It’s set in the beginning of the 19th century, and is about a young woman and man who fall in love and become converts to the newly emerging Mormon church.

Although the plot and characters are a little cheesy (oh no! Bandits are invading the camp and all the menfolk have gone into town to buy supplies!), it did a really good job in addressing the differences between Christianity and Mormonism without condemning either side.  There are Christian characters that are strong in their faith and those that are struggling with their view of Jesus. There are also Mormons who believe wholeheartedly in the relevations of Joseph Smith, and those who have doubts about the new church. 

I’ve been curious about the differences between the two faiths since I started blogging, and, let’s face it, 90% of the blogosphere consists of super trendy Mormon bloggers. Also, I had a great conversation with some cute missionaries from the Church of the Latter-day Saints last summer. So yeah, I thought it was a really informative book that addresses issues like faith vs.works, the extent of human godliness, polygamy (even though it's long since been banned by the Mormon church), and the holy spirit. 

Deep stuff considering the characters are “gazing lovingly into each other’s eyes” and junk.

You should read it.

1 comment:

  1. I think I watched a Lifetime movie on this book once..

    ReplyDelete

leave a message after the beeeep.